Saturday, April 18, 2015

Update on Heroes' Journey

Hello everyone!

I wanted to give you an update on what has happened on Heroes' Journey since my last post. In my last post I went over the Characteristics (Abilities/Attributes/Stats) that I am using in the game and I only had the basic damage calculations done. I have made a lot more progress since then. Here are just a couple brief descriptions of what has been implemented:

  • Battle now supports using skills (which apply Buffs/Debuffs), as well as basic damage and skipping your turn. 
  • Skills now use Action Points to use, and you regenerate AP at the beginning of each turn
  • Damage calculations now take into account modifiers from armor, weapons, buffs, and debuffs
  • Attacks/Skills now support the ability to target different groups, like Self, Friend, or Foe.
  • If you are victorious you now receive gold, XP, and loot based upon the enemy types that were defeated. 
  • All of the base classes created for Enemies, all Item types, Skills, Buffs, and Debuffs
I have a little more work too for dispersing gold and loot, since when I initially wrote it I didn't take into account that the player party will be pooling gold and loot to make it less of a hassle to manage your items. That should be a pretty quick fix, then I can start creating enemies, items, skills, and so on so I can actually start testing the system under different circumstances.

I wanted to go over how I am handling the loot tables, but I plan on doing that as a separate post, since I have a feeling it will be a little lengthy.

Another thing I wanted to throw out there is that I started using Microsoft OneNote since my last post that has helped a lot for organization and motivation. It's free, and I recommend giving it a shot. 

The program is comprised of Notebooks, Sections, and Pages. Notebooks hold Sections and Sections hold Pages. This is how I set it up:

Notebook: Project/Game Name
Sections: Major components of the game. For instance, Mechanics, Story, Work Log, Project Timeline, and so on.
Pages: A breakdown of the above subcategories, This is where all of the actual details are written down.

I started doing my daily work logs in OneNote and it has helped a lot for keeping track of what I did on what day, and what persistent issues I need to tackle.

For instance, if I have two items on my To-Do list on one day and get one done it would look like this:



The next day I work on the game I copy over the tasks that are not complete, and add any new items I run in to as well:



This allows me to have a rolling log of tasks that need to be completed, and if need be I can check what changed between one day and the next and figure out what all I did on a given day.

Another nice feature is you can share it across multiple devices/users so it makes it really easy to collaborate with team members, or takes notes from your phone when you get an idea.

Anyway, catch ya in the next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment