Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Troubles With A Custom Input

Since the Scaleform stuff for N'Ferno isn't due for a couple months I decided to try and figure out how to use a custom input ini in UDK. This would allow me to use a different file for holding what keys do what, for each project. That way I don't have to manually change the DefaultInput.ini every time I wanted to work on a different project. This involved creating a new Input class, referencing it in the PlayerController default properties, then setting up a default input .ini with the new keybinds.

Once I got all of those set up I went to test it, and I couldn't turn with the mouse. All of the other custom keybinds worked perfectly. I could click with the mouse, just not move the camera around. I spent a couple days just trying different combinations of code in the .ini itself, to no avail. If anyone has any idea how mouse movement is handled in Unrealscript let me know. I could hardly find anything on using custom inputs besides changing the bindings in the DefaulInput.ini.

On another note, I started retrofitting the upgrade screen a while ago to work with N'Ferno and realized that I'm going to have to redo a lot of the structure. I decided to do this since N'Ferno won't need that robust of an upgrade system, and I can also trim it down some so the file size is smaller. It shouldn't take me very long to get that put back together nicely.

Well, that's all for now. Thank you for reading my blog!

Friday, July 12, 2013

A Whole Lot of Menus - Nordic Sol, N'Ferno

Hey there guys!

Over the past week I've been working pretty hard on getting some menus put together and working the bugs out of them. For Nordic Sol, which has gone through a huge overhaul since my last post about it, I have almost all the menus working how they should.

I made a:
Title Menu
Pause Menu
Death Screen
Inventory Screen

I have a little cleanup to do on the Inventory screen, for some reason one of the features stopped working...

I also have to do a credits/end game screen.

For N'Ferno I have most of the same menus, except the Inventory. Instead, I have a store where you can upgrade your gear. It is based off the generic store/upgrade screen I made a while back.

I did find an interesting thing out about the function in AS3 though. When you pass parameters with it you can have the Unrealscript function catch them. Now, I know that is pretty standard functionality in a function. You know, in the function being called in GetItem("Plasma Gun"); it would be function GetItem(string ItemName) and ItemName would then be a local variable. However! In all of the examples I had seen of in Unrealscript they would always use GetInt() in the function itself instead of catching the passed the parameters. Seems pretty lame of a find, but it always confused me why you would get the variable in the function when you were passing it in ActionScript. Now I know I can treat it like a regular function, which is really handy and a lot cleaner.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Way Too Long

Hello everyone!

It has been a long time hasn't it? Life has been pretty hectic the past couple weeks. Between graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Digital Entertainment/Game Design and moving two states away I haven't had much time to work on a lot of things. I have been slowly putting together some menus and other UI screens for two of our projects.

The inventory screen for one of them works pretty good so far, but it is catching me up on one part. After not looking at it for a week I forgot exactly where I was going with the code but I think I found a solution. For another menu I am reusing one I made a while back, but it seems like one of the components is no longer supported, or something went haywire when I upgraded to a newer version of UDK. I'm currently rebuilding it from scratch and seeing if that will work.

Sorry I don't really have much to show you, though I'm a bit more established now with internet and power so I should be back to regular updates.