Monday, August 26, 2013

Finally An Update!

I feel like I'm apologizing a lot in my posts recently for the irregular updates. I have indeed been working on things in the past month, but due to work and complications with where we are staying I haven't had much time to write up a post. I won't bore you with too many details, but my internet is very slow here...frustratingly slow.

Anyway, I finished up with the menus for N'Ferno and showed them to the rest of Pixel Jargon. They were met with approval, with just a few tweaks that I forgot about. Since then I have put them aside until we get some finalized code for a couple more features. There was only one major bug with the menus and I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. It was a problem that we ran into when we were making menus and such for Umbra, but I can't remember if we fixed it or not. Basically, if you are holding a movement key and you pause the game, when you unpause the game the pawn will continue running in the direction you were pressing until you hit that button again. I've looked on the Epic Games' forums, but either we're the only ones to encounter this, or I'm not using the right keywords.

Also put on the back burner was my experiment with the custom input ini's. I posted on the forums asking if anyone had any solutions to the mouse problem I was experiencing, but not a single person responded. It seems like none of the problems I have ran into have been asked about in the forums.

Since I wasn't really working on the menus for the time being I decided to help the modeling team a little. I was assigned a pretty interesting street lamp. Given two reference images I had to come up with a design and do a low poly model of it. I realized it is really hard to model something that has all rounded edges and try and keep it under 100 polygons. This meant very little detail once the basic shape was done. Since I was so disheartened by the lack of detail in it I decided to do a slightly higher poly version for myself. This ended up being around 1500 polys, but I was able to explore the concept a lot more and I found a design I liked better than my original one.

Here are the reference images I was given:

This was the original composite reference I made t get started:

And this is what I came up with for my higher poly model:

The texture is just a sub-object material I put on so I could see the different elements better. I might add more on to this at a later date, but for now I am done with it. It served its purpose in helping me visualize what I wanted the very low poly version to look like.

That's all I have for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment